As I was searching for discussion questions for our book club meeting, I came across this phrase “magical realism” which means a genre that combines mythical elements into realistic fiction.
One of the things I found most compelling about this book was that the main character’s unusual gift (Rose tastes people’s emotions in food they prepare) quickly became commonplace. As other character’s gifts were revealed I was reminded just how magical Rose was.
In many ways we are all Rose. We have special gifts and so do those around us. Yet these talents become commonplace and we forget to acknowledge them.
Here are just some of the special gifts you might find in your workplace:
- The ability to read the energy in a room and to adapt to create what is needed
- The courage to speak the truth when it is needed
- The knack for saying just the right thing to ease the tension
- The capacity to put people at ease and create trust
- The facility for asking just the right question to open up new possibilities
- The willingness to challenge the status quo
Focus your attention on these special gifts. Notice the impact that other people are having and acknowledge it. Pay attention to your own unique gifts and remember just how magical we all are.
Janice Cunning is a Certified Coach who is passionate about partnering with fundraisers to help them create an inspired vision that transforms lives.